Just one year ago, when I thought ahead to “next Easter” (that is, Easter 2021), I assumed what we all assumed. I assumed that by “next Easter” we’d be talking about COVID in the past tense. Yet now, one year later, “next Easter” is almost here… but COVID is still very much a part of our lives.
This has been a hard year, church. We’ve experienced so many struggles, grieved so many losses… and yet, the good news of Easter is as true as ever. Death doesn’t have the last word. Sin doesn’t have the ultimate power. Sin can’t define us, and death can’t hold us, because it couldn’t hold him. Jesus Christ is risen! We have new life through him! Alleluia!
As we approach another Holy Week in the midst of COVID-tide, we recognize the need to make some adjustments to our worship schedule.
Palm Sunday (March 28): Facebook Livestream & RSVP Worship, 10:00 AM Maundy Thursday (April 1): Facebook Livestream & RSVP Worship, 7:30 PM Good Friday (April 2): Zoom Prayer Service, 12:00 PM Facebook Livestream & RSVP Worship, 7:30 PM Easter Sunday (April 4): Facebook Livestream & RSVP Worship, 9:00 AM RSVP Worship (no livestream), 11:00 AM Outdoor Communion (weather permitting), 1:00 PM
If you plan to attend any of these services in person, please remember to RSVP. This will help us manage social distancing and make worship safer for all. You can RSVP online, by email, or by phone. To RSVP for these services, click on the link provided in your church-wide email, or contact Susan Matacavage in the church office by emailing email@example.com or leaving a message at 610-865-5715 ext. 12. To access the link for the Good Friday midday Zoom prayer, please contact Pastor Candy (firstname.lastname@example.org) or leave a message at 610-865-5715 ext. 12. Please note that for certain worship services, the number of RSVP slots may be more limited as we create space for some of our music ensembles to offer their gifts in worship.
If you plan to worship from home, we want you to have everything you need to make your worship experience meaningful! To that end, we’ve prepared “Holy Week Packets” (containing palm crosses for Palm Sunday and communion elements for Maundy Thursday). To schedule a time to pick up your Holy Week Packet, visit the link in your weekly e-news or leave a message at 610-865-5715 ext. 12.
This Easter, we also encourage you to be generous!
- Maundy Thursday Sock Drive: Every Maundy Thursday, we join Jesus and the disciples at the Last Supper. It’s a day that traditionally includes prayer, communion, and footwashing. This year, to honor the “footwashing” portion of Maundy Thursday, we’re asking you to bless the feet of others… by donating a package of new socks for this summer’s backpack program! (Sizes needed: child medium or large, adult small.) We’ll pray over these socks (those dropped off at the church, and those you have at home) during our Maundy Thursday worship service.
- Special Easter Gift: We give in grateful response to all that God has done for us… and at Easter, we celebrate the ultimate in what God has done for us! To that end, we encourage you to make a special Easter donation to support the ministries of Wesley Church. We encourage you to use the envelope included in your recent church-wide mailing, or to visit wesleychurch.com and click the red “Give Today” button.
- Easter Sunday Flowers: Every Easter, your donations help us fill our sanctuary with beautiful Easter flowers! This year is no different. Use the link in your weekly e-news to order your Easter flowers — or to make a special donation to UMCOR (The United Methodist Committee on Relief) or Wesley’s own Vacation Bible School.
Church, I wish you every Easter blessing. We who have journeyed through a pandemic understand Easter’s “from death to life” joy in a whole new way. May that joy enliven and sustain you in COVID-tide and beyond!
… and remember:
Our God is bigger than coronavirus.
Our vision is bigger than coronavirus, too.
We are people blessing people.
We are Wesley Church.
Want to know more?
- Learn about our church and its ministries: https://wesleychurch.com/
- Make a gift to support our mission: https://wesleychurch.com/giving-2/
- View our recent messages: https://wesleychurch.com/sermon-message-on-video/
- View previous devotionals: https://wesleychurch.com/pastor-candys-devotionals-2/