Sunday Worship Message, “Individuality”
5th Sunday after Epiphany
1 Corinthians 12:12-27 and Ephesians 4:4-7
Two theological presuppositions surround this part of understanding how God has created us to serve. 1) God is a person/has personality, as affirmed in the Trinity. 2) We are created in God’s image, as defined in Genesis. If God has personhood and God created us in His image, then we, too, have personhood, a personality. We know ours is flawed, and does not fully reflect that of God, yet our personalities are gifts of the Creator, and help define who we are…and how we serve.
“If getting you to heaven were God’s only reason for saving us, then the moment we would have received Christ as our Lord and Savior, God would have killed us!” (Wayne Cordiero). The point? God has put a message into our hearts that only we (individually) can understand and appreciate. It’s the “dream” inside us (think Dr. MLK, Jr.) In this sense, we are talking about the passion that God has placed in us to serve…
Sunday, February 10 Bulletin
Sunday Worship Service:
See Bob’s Slide Presentation
• DO YOU ENJOY CENTER STAGE OR SHUN THE LIMELIGHT?
• DO PEOPLE SEE YOU AS EASY TO KNOW OR QUIET AND RESERVED?
• DO YOU FORMULATE IDEAS THROUGH DISCUSSION OR INTERNAL THOUGHT?
• WHEN MY WORK IS INTERRUPTED, DO I WELCOME THE DIVERSION OR GET IMPATIENT WITH THE DISTRACTION?
• I WORK BEST AS GROUP OR INDEPENDENTLY?
• I PREFER TO COMMUNICATE BY PHONE OR E MAIL?
• WHEN MY BATTERIES NEED RECHARGING DO YOU GO OUT WITH FRIENDS OR SPEND SOME QUIET TIME ALONE?
• WHEN YOU WORK DO YOU ADAPT AS YOU GO OR PLAN AHEAD?
• DO YOU WORK WITH SPURTS OF ENERGY AT LAST MINUTE OR WITH REGULAR, STEADY EFFORT?
• ARE YOUR PLANS PENCILED IN OR FINAL?
• DO YOU LIKE SPONTANEITY OR PREDICTABILITY?
• DO YOU TEND TO HAVE SEVERAL PROJECTS GOING ON AT ONCE OR FINISH ONE THING BEFORE GOING TO THE NEXT?
• DO YOU PREFER DECISIONS THAT ARE OPEN TO DISCUSSION OR PROVIDE CLOSURE?
• DO YOU DRESS FOR COMFORT OR APPEARANCE?
If you were more likely to choose the first response in each pair, you probably prefer a flexible work environment. If the second response seems a better fit, you may find a stable environment preferable.
4 Possible Combinations
Extrovert in stable environment– you’re energized by interacting with other people but in a predetermined setting at a scheduled time. (small group leader, Stephen Minister, greeter, usher)
Extrovert in flexible environment– you’re energized by interacting with other people while welcoming spontaneity and a less structured setting. (youth group leading, team building)
Introvert/ stable environment- you tend to be quiet, reflective, practical. You learn through research and observation. Policies & procedures are to be followed to the letter. You would probably be drawn to financial or facilities ministries of the church or perhaps serving in office.
Introvert/ flexible environment- direct, visionary, focused, confident, competitive. You value results, big dreams, thorough research, independent thinking. (team leader, event organizer, teach SS)