Have you ever heard of PLARN? Plarn is using plastic bags into yarn to create sleeping mats for homeless individuals to aid in keeping them dry and more comfortable from sleeping on the direct ground. This is what we are looking for:
- Wanted: people interested in making plastic sleeping mats for the homeless to insulate them from the cold dampness of the ground
- Skills needed: cutting with scissors and single crochet (or team up with someone to share these two jobs)
- Tools needed: scissors, a bigger-sized crochet hook (size “P” is recommended), a yardstick or measuring tape
- Raw materials: clean used plastic shopping and grocery bags with soft seams – these are turned into a plastic yarn, called… plarn!
- Guidance: Wendy Arbushites can teach you how to do the entire process. It’s very easy!
- Supply source: We currently have plenty of bags that have been “quarantined” for at least a week to avoid any Coronavirus issues. Please email Wendy Arbushites at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in helping.
Here’s a video of how to create a sleeping mat.