16 Rejoice always,
17 pray without ceasing,
18 give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
-1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, NRSV
As Thanksgiving approaches, my eight-year-old son composed his own prayer, his own table grace, for our Thanksgiving meal. Inspired, I think, by a “roses are red, violets are blue” kind of theme, he wrote:
COVID-19 is bad.
COVID-19 we hate.
God is kind.
God is loving.
Let us thank him for our food.
Noah’s prayer reminds me: we can recognize the harshness, the difficulty, the pain, the overall crumminess of this “new normal” of COVID-tide… while at the same time recognizing the things that remain true, the things COVID-tide can’t touch. Despite all that has happened, and all that will come to pass, God is still kind. God is still loving. And there is still much for which to give God thanks. We’re prone, perhaps, to lose sight of that, especially in the face of such challenges… but we don’t have to. In 1 Thessalonians, Paul reminds us: we can give thanks in all circumstances, even the ones we face today.
Today, and tomorrow, and all throughout COVID-tide, may you recall God’s kindness. May you know God’s love. And may you remember to give thanks!
What are you thankful for, church? We’d love to hear what you’re lifting up in thankful prayers during this Thanksgiving holiday.
Share your prayer requests by:
- Emailing Pastor Candy: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Emailing Pastor Debbie: email@example.com
- Filling out our digital prayer card: https://wesleychurch.com/prayer-request-test/
Together, our Wesley Church Prayer Team will pray for each of your requests. If you would prefer for your prayer request to remain confidential with the pastoral staff, please indicate that in your message.
Give thanks to God, friends, and remember:
Our God is bigger than coronavirus.
Our vision is bigger than coronavirus, too.
We are people blessing people.
We are Wesley Church.
Want to know more?
- Learn about our church and its ministries: https://wesleychurch.com/
- Make a gift to support our mission: https://wesleychurch.com/giving-2/
- View our recent messages: https://wesleychurch.com/sermon-message-on-video/
- View previous devotionals: https://wesleychurch.com/pastor-candys-devotionals-2/