1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters;
3 he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff—
they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
my whole life long.
-Psalm 23, NRSV
I read these words this week — as I’ve read them so many times before — while standing in a funeral home, looking out upon a grieving family, seeking to share a word of help and hope. I read these words this week — as I’ve read them so many times before — in that darkest valley, the valley of the shadow of death.
In the midst of covid-tide, too many families are walking that valley. Even those of us who are not grieving the loss of a specific person are grieving in the midst of this season. As covid-tide wears on, we find ourselves in the valley of the shadow of death.
If you’re feeling the heaviness of that shadowed valley, I want you to hear the words that I so often share with families and loved ones in the midst of grief:
- Someday, we’ll talk about COVID in the past tense.
- Someday, we’ll emerge from this season of covid-tide.
- Someday, church. Someday.
When that day comes, I don’t know what the final word on COVID will be… but I do know who will have the last word.
It is the One whose very name is Love.
Our God is bigger than coronavirus.
Our vision is bigger than coronavirus, too.
We are people blessing people.
We are Wesley Church.
Want to know more?
- Learn about our church and its ministries: https://wesleychurch.com/
- Make a gift to support our mission: https://wesleychurch.com/giving-2/
- View our recent messages: https://wesleychurch.com/sermon-message-on-video/
- View previous devotionals: https://wesleychurch.com/pastor-candys-devotionals-2/