Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.
-Romans 12:15, NRSV
We stood there, at a distance, in our masks, there in the snow-covered cemetery, as the granddaughter spoke of her grandparents. She told stories, shared memories. Yet at some point, her words turned from heartfelt eulogy to desperate PSA. She told the gathered mourners how they never expected COVID to touch their family… how they never expected to say good-bye so soon… how they never expected that her beloved grandparents would lose their lives to COVID, just one day apart. She urged us all to wear our masks and do everything we could do to stop the spread. And then she said words I’ll never forget: “Everyone keeps talking about how the death rate is only, like, 1%… as if that’s not very much. But that 1% was my whole world.”
That 1% was my whole world.
Today, as I write these words of a devotional, this call to prayer, her words continue to echo in my mind. To date, over 465,000 Americans have lost their lives to COVID-19. Each one of them was someone’s whole world.
So today, I will be lifting up those who have lost someone who was precious to them, who have lost their “whole world.” I will be praying for my compassionate God to meet their grief with comfort and hope. And while I pray, I’ll continue to do all I can to stop the spread… just like the granddaughter asked me to do.
What are you praying for today, church?
Share your prayer requests by:
- Emailing Pastor Candy: email@example.com
- Emailing Pastor Debbie: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Filling out our digital prayer card: https://wesleychurch.com/prayer-request-test/
Together, our Wesley Church Prayer Team will pray for each of your requests. If you would prefer for your prayer request to remain confidential with the pastoral staff, please indicate that in your message.
Be people of prayer, friends… and remember:
Our God is bigger than coronavirus.
Our vision is bigger than coronavirus, too.
We are people blessing people.
We are Wesley Church.
Want to know more?
- Learn about our church and its ministries: https://wesleychurch.com/
- Make a gift to support our mission: https://wesleychurch.com/giving-2/
- View our recent messages: https://wesleychurch.com/sermon-message-on-video/
- View previous devotionals: https://wesleychurch.com/pastor-candys-devotionals-2/